Crabs (pubic lice) and scabies
2006 July 13
*Crabs* are tiny lice that live in pubic hair or other coarse body hair. *Scabies* are tiny mites that burrow under the skin of the hands or genital area to lay eggs. Both types of parasitic insect can be easily spread to another person.
“Make an appointment”:/about/appointments/ at any of our clinics in Greater Victoria to get tested for crabs and scabies, or to find out more.
* “How crabs and scabies are spread”:#spread
* “Preventing crabs and scabies”:#prevent
* “Crabs and scabies symptoms”:#symptoms
* “Risks of untreated crabs and scabies”:#risks
* “Crabs and scabies tests and diagnosis”:#tests
* “Treatment of crabs and scabies”:#treatment
h3(#spread). How crabs and scabies are spread
* from close physical contact such as sexual activity, however they are not _only_ sexually transmitted
* you can also get them fom sharing towels, bedding or clothing with an infected person
* these insects can only survive for 24-48 hours off the body (their host) so it is unlikely that you would get them from a toilet seat
h3(#prevent). Preventing crabs and scabies
Condoms do not protect against crabs and scabies, because they are spread simply by close contact. Your best protection is to limit your sexual partners, and get regular STI/STD tests.
h3(#symptoms). Crabs and scabies symptoms
Scabies causes a rash with red, scratch-like lines or small bumps on the genitals or other parts of your body such as the hands and wrists. They cause intense itching which is worse at night.
Pubic lice (crabs) also causes itchiness which is often worse at night. Sometimes you can see the eggs (nits) at the base of the hair. It is possible to be infected with pubic lice and not have any symptoms.
h3(#risks). Risks of untreated crabs and scabies
There are no serious complications or long term effects associated with pubic lice or scabies.
h3(#tests). Crabs and scabies tests and diagnosis
Crabs and scabies are diagnosed by visual inspection. “Make an appointment”:/about/appointments/ to see a doctor at any of our clinics in Greater Victoria.
h3(#treatment). Treatment of crabs and scabies
* Crabs and scabies are easily treated with a special shampoo or lotion which can be purchased over the counter at a drug store; ask a pharmacist for help.
* All bedding, towels and clothes used in the last 3 days must be laundered using the hot cycle for both washer and dryer.
* You may need to repeat treatment in 7 – 10 days.