We have a well-established comprehensive sex education program on Vancouver Island, offering sexual health education in schools, as well as workshops for community groups, parents and adults.
To book sexual health workshops,
* “Contact our offices”:/about/contact/#education
We believe in taking a *preventative* approach to sexual health. Our comprehensive sex education workshops support healthy sexual decision-making for teens, youth and parents.
h3. About our workshops
* “Program goals”:#goals
* “Sex education workshops for all ages”:#workshops
* “Our facilitator”:#facilitator
h3(#goals). Program goals
To provide children, youth, and parents with current and factual information in an effort to promote healthy sexuality and healthy choices and to _prevent_ unplanned pregnancies, exposure to sexually transmitted infections and sexual exploitation. All programs welcome and encourage questions from participants.
We work closely with other agencies such as:
* “Options for Sexual Health”:http://www.opt2act.org
* “Project Respect”:http://www.yesmeansyes.com, from the Victoria Women’s Sexual Assault Centre
* “AIDS Vancouver Island”:http://www.avi.org, to promote inclusive and comprehensive sexual health education for youth and the community
h3(#workshops). Sex education workshops for all ages
We offer a variety of workshops to meet the needs and interests of specific groups based on subject matter, age level, and time available.
h4. Elementary and Middle school workshops
Child sex education topics include:
* Bodies, Birth, and Babies
* Changing Bodies, Changing Minds
* The 5 w’s of The P word – puberty
* healthy relationships and friendships
* building self-esteem
* sexual health overview
* birth control and sexually transmitted infections (for older youth)
h4. Secondary school and University workshops
Sex education for teenagers and young adults covers:
* birth control options
* sexually transmitted infections (STIs/STDs)
* sexual decision making
* healthy relationships
* teen pregnancy (using the “empathy belly”)
h4. Youth Training
ISHS is proud to deliver comprehensive sexual health training for youth in peerhelping and leadership classes and other community groups. Training is delivered over 9 hours and includes detailed information on contraception, sexually transmitted infection risk reduction, healthy relationships, decision making, community resources and what to expect during a sexual health exam. Through the generous support of The United Way and Direct Access, we are able to offer this training free of charge to a limited number of schools and groups.
h4. Parent workshops
The Approachable Parent workshop can be tailored to meet the needs of specific age groups (Pre-school through Adolescence) and will include the following information:
* The five stages of childhood sexual development & what children should know at each stage
* Teaching tips and specific examples of ways to explain bodies & body processes
Strategies for answering the tough questions children ask
* Tips for incorporating family values, beliefs, religion, and culture into sexuality education
* Resources for parents to review and information to take home
See also our “tips for parents”:/parents/ talking to kids about sexual health.
Jennifer Gibson, MA is our community education coordinator. Before joining ISHS, she worked as a prevention and support educator in disordered eating, where she facilitated workshops and peer training for youth and adults.
Jennifer is a passionate, knowledgeable and qualified sexual health educator whose sense of humour and comfort level give her a unique ability to deal with sensitive issues.
h4. Feedback on Jennifer’s Education
“Jennifer is open, has a great sense of humour, and has a lot of information to offer.” Parent, Hillcrest Elementary
“Thank you for teaching my class. This was the best talk I have ever had in school”-Grade 10 Participant
“Thanks again for the outstanding presentation – you certainly had the student’s attention for the entire presentation and created an atmosphere where students felt comfortable”- Instructor, Camosun College