By now many of you have seen the article in today’s Times Colonist about our funding shortfalls. We want everyone to know that it’s business as usual at all of our clinics but that we need community support to help us continue. Here’s another link to a podcast from CFAX 1070 that will give you more information about the issues our organization are facing.
We welcome all ideas and avenues of support while we continue to provide the high level of sexual health care that our communities and clients deserve!
Here’s a brief snapshot of the scope of our services:
- Founded in 1969 as part of Planned Parenthood and became an independent society in 1986
- Has 25 doctors working in rotation
- Served 23,307 clients in 2012-13, expects to see 26,000 in 2013-14
- About half of clients polled do not have a family doctor
- Diagnosed and treated 3,553 genital infections in 2012-13, including 231 positive chlamydia results, 22 cases of gonorrhea, seven cases of syphilis and two cases of HIV
- Makes presentations to 11,000 students and other citizens a year
- Performs 60 to 120 intrauterine device contraceptive insertions each month
How can I support Island Sexual Health?
Letters of Support
You are more than welcome to send a letters of support to the Ministry of Health as well as Island Health Authority.
Honourable Terry Lake
Minister of Health
Room 337, Parliament Buildings
Victoria, BC V8V 1X4
Dr. Brendan Carr, CEO of Island Health
1952 Bay Street
Victoria, British Columbia
If you have ideas about fundraising or community collaboration, please free to contact our Executive Director, Bobbi Turner at 250-592-3479. All ideas are gratefully accepted.
Thank you so much for your support! It means the world to our clients and community!