**VOLUNTEER PROGRAM UPDATE IN RESPONSE TO COVID 19**
Please note that, for the safety of our volunteers, staff and clients, our volunteer program is currently on hold. We still absolutely welcome folks to continue to submit applications, but please be aware that we are unsure of when our next volunteer intake and training cycle will take place. Any successful volunteer applications submitted while our program is on hold will be held on file. Successful applicants will be contacted when regular operations resume. We appreciate your patience and understanding during these unfamiliar times!
Volunteering with ISHS
Our volunteers are vital to our programs! We make sure our volunteers get to practice valuable skills and knowledge in exchange for their amazing contributions to our clinics and clients. Our friendly and caring volunteers:
- learn about sexual health issues
- support clients during education and exam appointments
- model positive sexuality and comfort with sexual health
- gain experience in clinical and educational roles
- encourage our clients to feel comfortable and accepted
- create positive and lasting change every day
Want to volunteer?
We greatly appreciate all of our volunteers and know that they are greatly valued by our clients as well. Many of our volunteers have used the experience gained at ISHS to go onto studies and careers in medicine, nursing, genetic counselling, counselling psychology, and education.
Please note: The number of volunteers accepted is dependent on the needs of each clinic location. Generally speaking, we accept volunteer applications on an ongoing basis, but we cannot guarantee immediate placement upon acceptance.
For more information on volunteer opportunities, please contact our amazing Volunteer Coordinator. Maria Weaver.
To apply to be a volunteer, complete and submit a volunteer application.
Our volunteers fill vital roles in our clinics. Some of the responsibilities available to volunteers include:
Doctor’s Assistant/DA (Entry level position, available at all locations)
Duties of DAs include:
- cleaning and preparing the exam rooms for clients
- stocking the room with exam supplies
- supporting the client during an exam
- assisting the Dr. during the exam by labelling requistions and passing swabs
- processing swabs and samples
- performing pregnancy tests
- assisting with our clinical duties such as stamping, photocopying, condom package assembly, etc.
Birth Control Educator/BCE (not an entry level position, available at all locations)
Duties of BCEs include:
- educating our clients on various contraceptive methods
- supporting clients with their decisions around birth control choices
- working with Dr.’s to ensure client receives access to information about birth control methods
- outlining the mechanisms of action, effectiveness, benefits, risks, and instructions for use with clients on chosen method
Volunteer Board Directors
Directors are voting members of the Board of Directors and are jointly responsible for the governance of the organization. More specifically this includes determining and monitoring the mission, mandate and values; ensuring services meet the mission, mandate and values of ISHS; approving and monitoring strategic directions; ensuring the finances of ISHS are handled responsibly; and ensuring ISHS meets all of its legal obligations.
- Understand and demonstrate a commitment to the organization’s mission and programs
- Keep up to date with issues and trends that affect the organization
- Prepare for meetings by reading agendas, minutes, reports and other documentation required to actively participate in them
- Attend meetings regularly
- Contribute skills and knowledge by participating actively in meetings and committee work
- Understand and monitor the organization’s financial affairs
- Avoid any potential conflicts of interest
- Understand and maintain confidentiality
- Ensure the organization is complying with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Participate in Board Committees as required
Please contact Bobbi Turner, Executive Director for further information on Board Positions.
Who volunteers at ISHS clinics?
Island Sexual Health Society has over 80 valuable volunteers. Our volunteers come from many different backgrounds and include community professionals, students, and retired people.
We do not require any previous experience or special training but we require all volunteers to be interested in positive sexual health promotion, work within a pro-choice framework, and working with the community in a friendly, accepting, and open manner.