Volunteering with ISHS
Our volunteers are vital to our programs! We make sure our volunteers get to practice valuable skills and knowledge in exchange for their amazing contributions to our clinics and clients. Our friendly and caring volunteers:
- learn about sexual health issues
- support clients during education and exam appointments
- model positive sexuality and comfort with sexual health
- gain experience in clinical and educational roles
- encourage our clients to feel comfortable and accepted
- create positive and lasting change every day
Want to volunteer?
We greatly appreciate all of our volunteers and know that they are greatly valued by our clients as well. Many of our volunteers have used the experience gained at ISHS to go onto studies and careers in medicine, nursing, genetic counselling, counselling psychology, and education.
Please note: The number of volunteers accepted is dependent on the needs of each clinic location. Generally speaking, we accept volunteer applications on an ongoing basis, but we cannot guarantee immediate placement upon acceptance.
For more information on volunteer opportunites, please contact our
To apply to be a volunteer, complete and submit a volunteer application.
Our volunteers fill vital roles in our clinics. Some of the responsibilities available to volunteers include:
Doctor’s Assistant/DA (Entry level position, available at all locations)
Duties of DAs include:
- cleaning and preparing the exam rooms for clients
- stocking the room with exam supplies
- supporting the client during an exam
- assisting the Dr. during the exam by labelling requistions and passing swabs
- processing swabs and samples
- performing pregnancy tests
- assisting with our clinical duties such as stamping, photocopying, condom package assembly, etc.
Birth Control Educator/BCE (not an entry level position, available at all locations)
Duties of BCEs include:
- educating our clients on various contraceptive methods
- supporting clients with their decisions around birth control choices
- working with Dr.’s to ensure client receives access to information about birth control methods
- outlining the mechanisms of action, effectiveness, benefits, risks, and instructions for use with clients on chosen method
Who volunteers at ISHS clinics?
Island Sexual Health Society has over 100 valuable volunteers. Our volunteers come from many different backgrounds and include community professionals, students, and retired people.
We do not require any previous experience or special training but we require all volunteers to be interested in positive sexual health promotion, work within a pro-choice framework, and working with the community in a friendly, accepting, and open manner.
Application to the clinic does not guarantee acceptance. All volunteers are carefully screened upon application. A minimum of 15 hours training is required prior to filling any volunteer positions