What can Island Sexual Health help me with?
All things sexual health related. We offer pro-choice and comprehensive sexual health clinics, education programs and products for people of all genders, orientations, abilities, and ages in Greater Victoria, BC in the unceded traditional territories of the Lekwungen and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples. We are a non-profit organization that is also a registered charity.
At Island Sexual Health, our job is to provide you the most current and relevant information, services, and products that help you better understand your sexual and/or reproductive health needs and make the best choices for your sexual wellness.
We utilize the services of both doctors and nurses in our clinics to provide the very best in sexual health care. We provide referrals to our clients who require the services of specialized medical care such as gynecology, urology, physiotherapy, etc. All of our nurses are certified in Contraceptive and STI Management through CRNBC. We are also a teaching facility for the University of British Columbia’s Island Medical Program which means we offer training to medical school residents.
More than just birth control
At Island Sexual Health, we realize that a person’s sexual health is about way more than the prevention of pregnancy. In fact, sometimes it’s never about the prevention of pregnancy!
All our services are private, non-judgmental, and supportive; for everyone, all of the time.
Our Confidential clinical services include:
- Pap, pelvic, and genital exams
- Testicular and breast/chest exams
- Gender Affirming Care (Hormone Assessment/Access/Service Referrals) Services **GAC is restricted to clients 16 years+** Initiating GAC operates through a wait list rotation which may vary in duration. Clients seeking renewal are not subject to waitlist. Please call us directly for an appointment.
- Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) testing, treatment, prevention (including PrEP for qualifying patients), vaccination, and support. Our clients can access onsite blood draw services for HIV, Hep B & C, Syphilis testing on Saturdays.
- Lower cost birth control
- Specialized IUD insertion clinics and removals
- Nexplanon removals (please note insertions are not currently available in Canada)
- Pregnancy testing and pro choice options and support
- Free condoms and lube and bleed control products
- An expanded line of sexual health products for sale in our Frisky Business store including lower cost latex free condoms, dams, lube, and toys.
Our comprehensive and well respected education program Beyond the Talk includes:
- Customized sexuality education workshops for Grades 4-Adult
- Youth training programs including a youth sexuality steering committee
- Parent Education Sessions
- Conference workshops
- Events attendance and tabling
- Youth specific website and texting resource line for youth 250-812-9374
- We offer this site specifically for youth who want more youth based sexual health information (ie puberty info, how to talk to adults, sexual decision making, etc.) than our regular site offers. Check it out for more resources, current info and lots of writing from our amazing youth committee. We also have a youth texting line for all of your sexual health questions 250-812-9374.
We respectfully acknowledge that our clinics are located and our work takes places on various places within the unceded traditional territories of Lekwungen (Chekonein, Chilcowitch, Swengwhung, Kosampsom, Whyomilth, Teechamitsa, Kakyaakan, Songhees, Esquimalt) and W̱SÁNEĆ (SȾÁUTW/Tsawout, W̱JOȽEȽP/Tsartlip, BOḰEĆEN/Pauquachin, WSIḴEM/Tseycum) Peoples.
We provide services for people from these territories as well as those who are settlers and visitors on these lands.