***CLINIC SERVICES UPDATE October 14th, 2020***
Accessing Care with Current Covid Guidelines
Island Sexual Health would like to thank you for your patience as we continue to gradually return to in person care. We understand that these are challenging times as we all try to balance the health and safety of our community with the need to return to full and healthy living. What this looks like varies from person to person and from business to business. The current service model at Island Sexual Health (virtual visits, limited in-person care) is based on the guidelines for health care providers that we have received from the Provincial Health Officer, Worksafe BC, and the Doctors of BC. We look forward to increasing our service levels as soon as is recommended by these authorities.
Please see below for information on appointments and supply/medication pick up.
- NEW clients can use this online portal or call us at 250-592-3479 to set up an appointment. We strongly encourage clients to register for the portal when booking your initial appointment through our new online portal booking system, this allows you to take advantage of all the features the portal has to offer.
- RETURNING clients can use this online portal to book an initial assessment appointment with a nurse or doctor. We are currently initially assessing all clients via phone or video appointment to develop a personalized healthcare plan. We strongly encourage clients to register for the portal when booking your initial appointment through our new online portal booking system, this allows you to take advantage of all the features the portal has to offer.
- If you’ve been told it’s necessary for you to follow up with our clinic for an additional appointment for examination, etc., please call us 250-592-3479 to book a second in-clinic appointment for you.
- If we have booked an in-clinic appointment with you; we require you to wear a mask for your protection for your entire visit. If you do not have one; you can find instructions to make a homemade mask here or we will provide one for you to wear during your time in our clinic. We are committed to your safety and are working within our Worksafe BC plan to ensure your visit to our clinic is as comfortable as possible
Supply/Medication Pick Up
- As of November 2nd, we are only offering product pickup between 12-4pm Monday – Saturday. You are welcome to pick up testing kits/ treatment medications at our Quadra Street clinic Monday- Saturday between 9 am-4 pm. We are CLOSED Sunday and Statutory Holidays.
- Please follow the instructions posted on the outside of our clinic when you arrive.
Text Line for Sexual Health Questions:
Our confidential texting line is still available 250-812-9374 for any sexual health questions. Please note this line is for general sexuality questions not medical advice or booking appointments.
Our satellite clinics (Camosun, Tsawout and Royal Bay) are CLOSED and clients of these locations are asked to call our main clinic location at 250-592-3479 to access supplies/service.
We appreciate your patience and support as we support your sexual health care needs in the safest ways possible.
What can Island Sexual Health help me with?
All things sexual health related. We offer pro-choice and comprehensive sexual health clinics, education programs and products for people of all genders, orientations, abilities, and ages in Greater Victoria, BC in the unceded traditional territories of the Lekwungen and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples. We are a non-profit organization that is also a registered charity.
At Island Sexual Health, our job is to provide you the most current and relevant information, services, and products that help you better understand your sexual and/or reproductive health needs and make the best choices for your sexual wellness.
We utilize the services of both doctors and nurses in our clinics to provide the very best in sexual health care. We provide referrals to our clients who require the services of specialized medical care such as gynecology, urology, sexual medicine, physiotherapy, etc. All of our nurses are certified in Contraceptive and STI Management through CRNBC. We are also a teaching facility for the University of British Columbia’s Island Medical Program which means we offer training to medical school residents.
More than just birth control
At Island Sexual Health, we realize that a person’s sexual health is about way more than the prevention of pregnancy. In fact, sometimes it’s never about the prevention of pregnancy!
All our services are private, non-judgmental, and supportive; for everyone, all of the time.
Our Confidential clinical services include:
- Pap, pelvic, and genital exams
- Testicular and breast/chest exams
- Gender Affirming Care (Hormone Assessment/Access/Service Referrals) Services **GAC is restricted to clients 16 years+** Initiating GAC operates through a wait list rotation which may vary in duration. Clients seeking renewal are not subject to waitlist. Please call us directly for an appointment.
- Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) testing, treatment, prevention (including PrEP for qualifying patients), vaccination, and support. Our clients can access onsite blood draw services for HIV, Hep B & C, Syphilis testing on Saturdays.
- Lower cost birth control
- Specialized IUD insertion clinics and removals
- Nexplanon removals (please note insertions are not currently available in Canada)
- Pregnancy testing and pro choice options and support
- Free condoms and lube and bleed control products
- An expanded line of sexual health products for sale in our store including lower cost latex free condoms, dams, lube, and toys.
Our comprehensive and well respected education program Beyond the Talk includes:
- Customized sexuality education workshops for Grades 4-Adult
- Youth training programs including a youth sexuality steering committee
- Parent Education Sessions
- Conference workshops
- Events attendance and tabling
- Youth specific website and texting resource line for youth 250-812-9374
- We offer this site specifically for youth who want more youth based sexual health information (ie puberty info, how to talk to adults, sexual decision making, etc.) than our regular site offers. Check it out for more resources, current info and lots of writing from our amazing youth committee. We also have a youth texting line for all of your sexual health questions 250-812-9374.
We respectfully acknowledge that our clinics are located on the unceded traditional territories of Lekwungen (Chekonein, Chilcowitch, Swengwhung, Kosampsom, Whyomilth, Teechamitsa, Kakyaakan, Songhees, Esquimalt) and W̱SÁNEĆ (SȾÁUTW/Tsawout, W̱JOȽEȽP/Tsartlip, BOḰEĆEN/Pauquachin, WSIḴEM/Tseycum) Peoples. Our our work takes place in various places within these territories.
We humbly provide services for People from these territories as well as those who are settlers and visitors to these lands