We offer abortion information in Greater Victoria, BC. Make an appointment to speak to one of our nurses for support and more information. A person does not require a referral to access an abortion; they can self refer to a service provider
Many people have strong feelings, beliefs and opinions about abortion and consequently there is a lot of misinformation about it. It is essential to have accurate and non-biased facts before you make your decision. We are an organization that provides unbiased, information and support on all pregnancy options including abortion. We believe and work within a pro-choice/all-choice philosophy which means it is a person’s right to determine and make the choice to address a pregnancy with the option that they feel best fits their situation.
If you want more unbiased information or pro-choice support call Pregnancy Options Service at 1-888-875-3163.
Choice Connect helps you find your nearest abortion provider based on your needs. The app features detailed referral information for more than 120 abortion providers and clinics across Canada. The web app is anonymous and free to use.
Here in British Columbia:
- You can have an abortion at any age, provided the physician determines that you understand the risks and benefits of this decision.
- There are two different options available for a medical or medication abortion in Canada: mifepristone with misoprostol or methotrexate with misoprostol. These are options for pregnancies dating 9 weeks or less. Both mifepristone and methotrexate are effective methods (Mifepristone is usually quicker and more effective of the two medical procedures) for a termination of pregnancy when supervised by a trained health care professional. One type of medication ends the pregnancy and the second causes the tissue to be expelled.
- Currently there is no cost for mifepristone for BC residents with valid MSP (care card) number. For people without BC healthcare coverage, the cost of the medication is not covered although some extended medical plans may cover it.
- The cost of surgical abortion is covered by the Medical Services Plan in BC if you have health care coverage. You will need your Care Care Number to book an appointment. Medication costs will be extra. If you do not have health care coverage, there will be fees attached.
- Abortion services are completely confidential at any age. A person does not need the permission of anyone else (parent, partner, family) to access an abortion or information about abortion.
- You can access a medical abortion in addition to other wellness services such as Emergency Contraception, IUD insertions and Pelvic health through Women’s Vita
- You can get an abortion up to 24 weeks into your pregnancy.
- Vancouver Island Women’s Clinic (250-480-7338) has further information on both medical and surgical abortion options.
- You can contact the CARE program at 604-875-2022 or Toll Free 1-888-300-3088 ext. 2022
- CARE Program
Outside of BC
- NAF provides comprehensive listings of clinical care for abortions in North America. You can also call 1-800-772-9100.
- Choice Connect helps you find your nearest abortion provider based on your needs. The app features detailed referral information for more than 120 abortion providers and clinics across Canada. The web app is anonymous and free to use.
Online Pregnancy Options Workbook
- This is a great online resource that helps a person to explore their feelings and options around pregnancy.