Our volunteers are vital to our programs! We make sure our volunteers get to practice valuable skills and knowledge in exchange for their amazing contributions to our clinics and clients. We greatly appreciate all of our volunteers and know that they are greatly valued by our clients as well. Our friendly and caring volunteers:
- learn about sexual health issues
- support clients during education and exam appointments
- model positive sexuality and comfort with sexual health
- gain experience in clinical and educational roles
- encourage our clients to feel comfortable and accepted
- create positive and lasting change every day
Want to volunteer?
*Please note*: The number of volunteers accepted is dependent on the needs of our clinic scheduling. Generally speaking, we accept volunteer applications on an ongoing basis, but we cannot guarantee immediate placement upon acceptance.
Our volunteers fill vital roles in our clinics.
Doctor’s Assistant/DA (Entry level position)
Duties of DAs include:
- cleaning and preparing the exam rooms for clients
- stocking the room with exam supplies
- supporting the client during an exam
- assisting the Dr. during the exam by labelling and passing swabs
- processing swabs and samples
- assisting with our clinical duties such as stamping, photocopying, condom package assembly, etc.
Some VOLUNTEER FAQs
Who volunteers at ISHS clinics? Do you have to have previous medical experience?
Island Sexual Health Society has over 80 valuable volunteers. Our volunteers come from many different backgrounds and include community professionals, students, retirees, and parents.
We do not require any previous experience or special training but we expect all volunteers to be interested in positive sexual health promotion and working with the community in a friendly, accepting, and open manner.
How do I apply to become a volunteer with ISH?
Download a Volunteer Application Form (PDF) and either submit it via email or drop it off in person to our Quadra Street Location. Once we’ve received your application form, we’ll contact you. Please note that it may take a few weeks from the time of submission to be contacted.
Do I need a current clear criminal record check to work with ISH?
Yes. We will provide you with a letter to have a criminal check done if you are accepted as a volunteer in training. You must have submitted a clear criminal record check before you complete your volunteer training with us.
Does everyone who applies to the organization get accepted as a volunteer?
Application to become a volunteer with the organization does not guarantee acceptance. All volunteers are carefully screened upon application through their application and interview process. Once accepted, a minimum of 15 hours training is required prior to filling any volunteer position.