Job Opportunity: Gender Affirming Apparel Consultant
2020 May 26
Island Sexual Health society offers all things sexual health related. We offer pro-choice and comprehensive sexual health clinics, education programs and products for people of all genders, orientations, abilities, and ages in Greater Victoria, BC in the unceded traditional territories of the Lekwungen and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples. We are a non-profit organization that is also a registered charity.
At Island Sexual Health, our job is to provide you the most current and relevant information, services, and products that help you better understand your sexual and/or reproductive health needs and make the best choices for your sexual wellness.
ISHS has been approved for funding to help us provide equitable, affordable access to gender affirming supplies for trans, non-binary and 2 spirit folks through our on-site store. Our goal is to ensure that the products that we offer are based on community need and the services offered are both safe and accessible. Beyond making these products available, we want to ensure that customers feel educated, supported, and accurately represented when accessing these services.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Island Sexual Health Store manager to plan and implement access to gender affirming supplies through our store. This is a temporary contract position, funded by the Victoria Foundation. In accordance with ISHS’s ongoing measures to prevent Covid-19 transmission and public health guidelines, this individual will work primarily off-site, with some hours anticipated on-site at the clinic for events and client support.
Trista Knight (Product Sales/ Supplies Manager) and Chelsea Walton (Medical Care Coordinator)
Roles and Responsibilities
- Collaborating with the store manager to order products, organize inventory and establish relationships with manufactures and distributors.
- Plan and set-up in-store display for products.
- Conduct further community consultation with community to establish an anti-oppressive and gender inclusive framework for the project’s procedures and policies.
- Create promotional materials for project rollout.
- Coordinate store staff training for safe fitting and use of apparel/products.
- Plan and design gender affirming apparel launch event (either onsite or online).
- Report to store manager for additional responsibilities.
- The ability to work both independently, remotely, and as part of team.
- A working knowledge of intersectional analysis and anti-oppressive practices.
- Experience with designing online promotional material.
- Experience with community consultation and outreach, specifically with trans, non-binary, and two-spirit community partners and groups.
Start Date: June 29th, 2020
Wage: $19.39 per hour.
Hours: This position is for 100 hours of temporary contract work. The successful applicant’s work schedule can be flexible to accommodate other commitments and will be negotiated based on project deadlines and the needs of the successful applicant. However, we are looking for someone that can commit to approximately 8-10 hours a week.
Closing Date: Please submit your resume and cover letter via email before 4:00pm PST on June 12th, 2020. Only applications received by the cutoff date and time will be considered for the position. Please note that only applicants that are being short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
Island Sexual Health is committed to employment equity. All qualified trans/NB/2S persons are encouraged to apply. We especially welcome applications from members of visible minority groups, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and LGBTQ+ persons.
Please note that the selection committee will include members from organizations outside ISH. It is the expectation that this position will act as a representative both of ISH and of the trans, non-binary, and two-spirit community.