Alysena 21 and 28 Health Canada Advisory
2018 March 12
All Alysena 21 (DIN 02387875) and Alysena 28 (DIN 02387883) pill users are advised to check their pills to ensure they are not chipped, broken or have jagged edges before using them.
Please feel free to contact us 250-592-3479 with any questions and, as always, please use a backup method such as condoms to add pregnancy protection especially when there’s a concern about product effectiveness. Condoms also help to reduce the risk of many STIs.
What you should do
- Follow Health Canada’s guidelines:
- Check your pills before and after taking them out of the blister package. Do not consume a pink pill if it looks unusual (for example, it is chipped, has jagged edges or is broken). Examine both sides of each pill thoroughly before taking it. It may not be immediately obvious from looking at the blister package that there is a problem with the pills, since the underside of the pill cannot be seen while in the blister pack.
- If you find a chipped pink pill, take the next unchipped pink pill. Do not miss a dose as this may result in pregnancy. Return any packages with chipped pills to your pharmacy or dispensing organization for a replacement package. Packages with no chipped pills do not need to be returned.
- If you have no unchipped pink pills left, then return the package to your pharmacy or dispensing organization as soon as possible for a replacement package. Use a non-hormonal method of birth control (such as condoms) until you can obtain a replacement package, and contact your health care provider for medical advice.
- Talk to a health care professional if you have questions or concerns about your birth control product, including about missed doses and alternatives.
- Report adverse events to health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1 866 234 2345, or by reporting online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1 800 267 9675, or complete an online complaint form.
Who is affected
- Users who are currently taking Alysena 21 or 28